I am not saying that is an original Indian chicken recipe, but this is what I make, when I crave something Indian! I find it very easy and very quick, and it always comes out delicious.
Side note! I add red bell peppers in my “curry”, as well, but, this time, I did not have any on hand… so I did not add any! Buuut I will include it in the recipe below!
450g (1lb) chicken thighs, bone – in
3 Tbsp ghee (butter) or olive oil #Mediterranean :p
1 bell pepper, cut into strips
1 Tbsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp granulated garlic or 4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp chili flakes
3/4 cup light coconut milk
salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a pan over high heat, bring 2 Tbsp of oil to temperature and seal the chicken on both sides, until it develops golden brown colour.
2. Remove the chicken from the pan. Add the other tablespoon of oil and cook the pepper for a couple of minutes.
3. Now you have to work quickly because you do not want to burn your spices. Sooo, stir in all the spices, the garlic and add 1 cup of water.
4. Place the chicken into the spice broth, lower the temperature to medium (4-5) and let the chicken cook for 15 minutes. Check every 3 minutes and turn the chicken on the other side to make sure it cooks evenly. Add more water if needed.
5. At this point the water should be evaporated. Pour in the coconut milk and let it cook for about 5 minutes or until it is thick enough.
6. Serve over rice or any other grain you like. I served it with millet this time, and I must say that it was very tasty.
Serves 3 people