Stable recipe of my recipe box… Melomakarona or honey cookies, in English, are the traditional Greek Christmas cookies/cakes!
I apologize, in advance, for the lack of the pictures… I neglected to take the step-by-step pictures, but I still want to share the recipeee…
I cannot wait for the next time, because it will probably be next Christmas! :p
Let’s get to it!
For the cookies:
500grams all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon cognac
180grams sunflower oil
50grams olive oil
220grams orange juice
1/2 teaspoon soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground clove
1/4 teaspoon salt
Zest of 1 orange
For the Syrup:
Orange peel and juice from a 1/2 orange
Lemon peel of a 1/2 lemon
2 cinnamon stick
Crushed almonds or walnuts
1. Combine all the ingredients for the syrup and bring it to a boil. Let it boil for 1-2 minute, on medium heat and set it aside, to cool down completely. It will be a good idea to start with your syrup a few hours before!
2. Now that the syrup is cooled down, start with the dough. Take two bowls. In the first bowl mix all the dry ingredients and the spices, except the baking soda. In the second bowl add the oils, the orange juice, the cognac, the orange zest and the baking soda!
3. Add the dry mixture into the liquid mixture and fold with your hands, until you see no more flour. As soon as the dry ingredients are incorporated stop mixing. It is ready!
4. Preheat the oven at 185 Celsius!
5. Take the tablespoon measuring spoon and spoon your cookies. Shape them in an oval and place then on your baking dish, lined with parchment paper.
6. Bake for about 22-26 minutes or until they are crunchy and golden brown.
7. Once you remove them from the oven, deep them in the cooled syrup for about 7 seconds on each side.
8. Drain them and serve them with nuts! Drizzle with some honey!
Makes around 45 cookies
Hugs, Mariana xx